Are you worried about taking your first fitness class?
You are not the only person who wants to go to a class but who has so many worries stopping them from taking this step.
I meet many like you every week who say they don’t know anything about Pilates and haven't done any exercise or fitness classes for years and are not sure if they can pick it up or follow a class, they feel uncomfortable about their physical appearance and do not want to feel embarrassed if they can't do the exercises in the class.
Some people I meet even worry that they will hold the class back and instead of trying they don't attend. Don’t let your insecurities to stop you! You may have heard this before but if something feels out of your comfort zone it is usually a good thing for personal growth.
Hearing this is never enough… but trust me the most difficult part of this process is turning up and being there in your local fitness class.
I realised people I met were convinced after attending a class that they did the right thing.
They saw they followed the class easily and managed to keep up with exercises, it wasn’t very difficult or hard for them and actually they enjoyed it. They also see I am not a scary person :) , I am actually very observant about the level of fitness in my classes and think a lot about the right level of exercises for those in attendance. Pilates allows you to have different versions of exercises (easier or harder).
Remember you can get fit without having lots of muscle pain, it is about knowing how to exercise smart. I have some tips on how to get you started and attending your first fitness class in a while.
1. Please remember being there is the hardest part: So overcome your fears and concerns and go to your class: Not feeling 100% great maybe next week? (there is no time that I remember feeling 100% apart from being on summer holiday), had a big meal so can’t move now? (always a good reason), it is very hard to park the car around there? I am almost late so better not go …etc. You can see your brain is the biggest challenge, don’t you realise when you read these, these reasons are not good enough… don’t let them stop you, as long as you are physically well, celebrate it and show yourself what you can do, just GO and make your life healthier.
I find it easier to win over all my personal reasons when I commit to meet with someone at the beginning: Why not meet with your friend to do the class together or you can commit to your instructor for a one- to- one class. Make it hard to cancel :)
2. Exercise at your own level – When you first start it is likely to be in a class with regulars who have been going to that class over a year, please remember everyone was like you when they first started so first if you worry about other people’s thoughts, free your mind from that: you can remind yourself that everyone was a beginner, please focus on your own improvement. You don’t need to be working with the heaviest weights in the class; start with the easy weights trust me it is not like a school no one will laugh at you for this, you don’t need to do 50 sit ups if you haven’t done any in the last year, doing 8 gentle sit ups will be a change already so you can stop and let others do 50 if they want.
3. Reward yourself by making it regular – It worked well for me: I love clothes and that was my reward to myself. After my class I got myself a new gym top and I had a reason to go to the next class as I have to wear the new top that I bought :) Your reward doesn’t need to be clothes or shoes, why not your favourite drink? You can treat yourself to your favourite coffee from your local shop or why not a glass of wine after all your hard work!
4. Do it in your own time – If your work hours stop you from attending classes, there are some great DVD’s or youtube videos help you to exercise in your spare time. You can start with 20 minutes of daily exercise as a routine. It will make a big change and will save you lots of time (going to a studio) Everything is a lot more accessible these days.
5. Have time for yourself - I love exercising as this is an hour everyday that I devote for myself! Everyone deserves quality time for themselves after devoting over 8 hours for your work, more than 5 hours for your family, minimum 1 hour for housekeeping everyday . Make it happen, it is for your health. It will help to cope with stress and make you forget about your daily concerns.
I hope this helps you in starting to find a new you and feel free to contact me or ask any question about how to start your Pilates classes today.